Monday, January 24, 2005

Smokey Bars, Good & Bad Music

Last night after Sojourn I headed to a show to benefit the completion of Aaron's film. It was foxhole (very good friends of mine), a band called "the October" (yeah, they the name says it all) and the Photographic. Foxhole has had drummer problems for a while now. Problems which I have fixed by playing with them on various occasions and they still haven't fixed them. They thought they found the right guy, but I found out last night that that was his last show with them... I don't understand. He played very timid like, as if he was afraid to hit the drums too hard. When he 'got into it' he'd do just fine, but he'd forget about it and then he'd quiet back down... I was disappointed. Not so much in the set but in the mix. I still love it... they are my home boys. After they finished up, "the October" graced us with their presence. One of the funniest sets I've watched. I've never had so much fun making fun of a band before. The venue said "local show" and their egos screamed "arena". I knew it was going funny when the guitar player stepped out from behind the mic to do his guitar solo, placing the body of the guitar between his legs and making funny faces with every note played. I told a friend that I wouldn't be surprised to see them on MTV2 with in the next year. I'd say they are the latest installment in the super reverb bands. Cure influenced rock, trying to be the next Interpol. They played the same song (not really) for what seemed like 2 hours. By the time they finished, everyone who stuck around through the 'just woke up hair' and "metro sexual' fashion of 'the October' had ears that were bleeding, sore jaws and a belly that hurt from smiling and laughing so hard. Last but not least the Photographic began to set up. When I saw the film projector I knew things would finally get creative again. Their opening riff took more creative thought than 'the Octobers' complete set... and I was impressed. I've talked with those guys quite a bit about play a show with of Asaph, and I've listened to their recorded stuff but never live. The set wasn't that tight and the film wasn't that interesting (basically slow motion footage of driving around Louisville), but the effort they put into it encouraged me that there are still some creative folks out there playing music because they love to.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nikki Leigh Daniel said...

Wow...sounds like me! After I play, everyone's like I "had ears that were bleeding, sore jaws and a belly that hurt from smiling and laughing so hard." What can I say?

By the way, how do you get a picture on here? HOW?? I'VE TRIED, I TELL YOU! I'VE TRIED!

4:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home